“Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.” - Kurt Vonnegut
I’ve discovered that I am most
present with what is not here. I am the kind of person who longs for. Who
savors. Who stockpiles hotel keys, t-shirts left behind. Who, as a child,
licked the bowl, the spoon, the bottom of the just-cooled skillet my
grandmother used to make her chocolate icing. Who saves letters not for the
words they contain but for the handwriting, for the hands that brushed the
page.
I linger. I want everything, but
especially this, to last. Preservation, proof, posterity: these are the things
I write for.
And in 20 years, in a month, five
days, tomorrow, I will miss this. On the way to the grocery store the other
day, I wished there was no gravity so we could float everywhere. But I felt
like floating takes too long – sometimes I want to go FAST. So I decided, “Okay.
I wish for gravity. But I also wish for wings.”
It occurred to me that wings are kind of a celebration of gravity – without
gravity, flying isn’t special. The past and the present, living and writing,
have the same kind of relationship to me – the one celebrating the other.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment