22 March 2020

In the time of Corona Virus



We are on the second week of the community quarantine being imposed by the government due to COVID-19, or Novel Corona Virus, that has been declared a world pandemic by the World Health Organization. 

Here in Manila, Corona Virus is spreading so fast. We now have 380 confirmed cases with 25 deaths as of writing. Everyone is fearing for their lives - the health workers who are in the front line defending the country, the dutiful few public servants who are doing their jobs, the ones who are working outside of the comforts of their home because they do not have any other choice. Every single one of us fear for our lives. The virus has claimed a number of people around the world that is adding up every minute. Italy is the epicenter now, this has shifted from Wuhan which has been stabilizing the number of casualties in their area already. Some people speculate they already have the vaccine against the virus, others are crediting the strict lock down procedures they have implemented since the outbreak. 


Our home is far from the city where most cases are but we still aren't safe. There are still other people who travel from one place to another since there's exemption to the travel ban they have imposed from city to city. My siblings and I do catch up via Facebook Messenger every day since we live far away from each other, with our youngest stuck in Makati where there are cases already. I just hope there will be fewer casualties in the coming days and weeks. 

The DOH projects that if we do not follow the lock down and quarantine procedures the government is implementing - because sadly there are people who really cannot NOT go around - the peak will be in June at around 200,000 people infected and that the pandemic will end by October. This projection, given the figures right now is, I would say, sort of accurate especially if we don't quarantine ourselves and let the virus spread as is. Imagine the effect this would have to our economy, to the people especially the vulnerable and the poor ones. On the other hand, if the government will be lenient in implementing the quarantine, more and more cases would be recorded at an unprecedented rate. The death toll would be higher given that we do not have enough resources to handle the pandemic.

Some hospitals are already letting positive cases go back to their homes due to lack of hospital rooms, PPE, and other equipment. Most PUIs are not tested on time, and even if tested, the results would not be in after they have recovered or have died due to the disease. It's an unfortunate and uncomfortable time for all of us and my heart goes out to those who, during this time, would not be able to provide for their families and would starve. This is such a difficult time for all of us it got me thinking that had this happened when we were younger, I don't think we will be able to survive since it was only my father who was working that time. It would have been difficult for our parents to provide for the five kids they have. 

Speaking of kids, my due date is coming up and we are praying this will be over when my delivery date comes. I don't know yet how we'd tackle birthing while we have this virus around. It's especially hard for those whose due dates are now, at the peak of the pandemic. I could not imagine the dread and the fear of the parents. I still hadn't given much thought about my birthing plan, I'd think about it around mid-April maybe, with the hopes of the virus disappearing by then. 


They say we should not panic and just follow the quarantine. I can't help but panic a little bit: a lot of people I know are not in  a good place at this point in time. Heck, we aren't even in a good place, but we are fortunate enough that we can get paid even when staying at home working, that we have a roof over our head, that we have enough to allot for for groceries, that we can sleep sound at night, that we have internet to be connected with our loved ones. I cannot be at peace knowing that there is a virus ready to attack my loved ones and I.

Here's to hoping this pandemic ends soon! 


0 Comments: